Nanaimo Youth Services Association (NYSA) is a non-profit organization that offers support to youth aged 15 to 29 years old. Many of the young people who use our services are youth who face significant challenges on a day-to-day basis, including homelessness, racial discrimination, living in a rural or remote area, having multiple barriers to employment, having a mental or physical disability, chronic unemployment, being a school drop-out and/or being a survivor of abuse.
By taking advantage of our services, youth can tap into their potential by aspiring to become well-adjusted, job-ready and career-oriented.
Develop and maintain a community that provides youth with meaningful connections and integrated opportunities for learning, development and independence.
Communications and Development Director
This is a full-time position with NYSA that oversees communications, fundraising and agency events. The Director oversees and implements internal and external communications programs and donor cultivation and stewardship through print, web and social communications, fundraising campaigns and events. They will also be expected to search out funding opportunities and develop successful grant and foundation applications in response to them. The position is based out of NYSA’s office in downtown Nanaimo and reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.
We are seeking an experienced candidate who will work with the CAO and staff to achieve the organization’s goals. We want a person who will grow into a position of leadership and will champion values-aligned communications and development strategies within the organization.
Communications and Outreach Responsibilities
- Draft blog posts, press releases, social media posts, emails, fundraising materials and other digital and traditional content.
Support the NYSA team’s promotional strategies for its various programs and projects.
- Coordinate media releases and press events, and respond to media enquiries.
- Work with the CAO to implement marketing and communications strategies to raise NYSA’s profile, expand the funder base, reach new supporters, and engage existing supporters.
- Manage updates to NYSA’s website, email lists, and social media platforms and grow our online community.
Fundraising and Development Responsibilities
- Design and lead NYSA’s fundraising campaigns, including direct mail, email campaigns, social media, and advertising where appropriate.
- Develop, organize and lead public NYSA events for both fundraising and corporate exposure.
- Work with contract designers, photographers, and videographers to produce compelling promotional materials for campaigns and events.
- Process, manage and analyze donations and develop and implement a donor management plan.
- Coordinate the Issuing of tax receipts with NYSA’s finance department.
Manage donor recognition and acknowledgement and develop creative ways to thank and retain donors.
- Plan, coordinate, and write grant and foundation applications and reports; and
- Manage current sponsorships and seek new sponsorship opportunities.
- Develop realistic budgets for the department, fundraising events and campaigns and, when approved, manage projects within those budgets.
- Provide monthly donation and transaction reports to bookkeepers and the CAO.
- Update best practices and appropriate policy documents as needed.
- Identify and lead improvements to fundraising and communications systems and practices.
- Work with other programs to recruit volunteers as needed.
- Coordinate with staff and contractors to manage project workflows; and
- Maintain fundraising and event records and statistics.
- Represent NYSA at public events.
- Voice the organization’s communications and development needs at external meetings.
- Participate in the organization’s strategic planning initiatives; and
- Attend staff meetings.
- Experience working with marginalized youth would be an asset.
- Must be compassionate, respectful and non-judgmental in working with people experiencing multiple barriers.
- Outgoing, confident, and enthusiastic.
- Motivated self-starter.
- Creative problem-solver.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong competency with computers, including Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Ability to regularly lift and carry 10 to 15 kilos.
- Four or more years of communications and public outreach experience.
- Four or more years of fundraising or fund development experience in a nonprofit context.
- Experience using CRM and/or case management software; and
- A valid full Class 5 driver’s license.
Closing Date: Open until filled.
Please send a single PDF of your resume and cover letter, outlining your salary expectations, with your full name and “Communications and Development Director” as the subject of the email to email@example.com.
Please name your PDF file using following the format: “Lastname-Firstname-CommDirector.pdf”