What We Do
DiverseFutures is a youth employment program funded in-part by the Government of Canada – Youth Employment and Skills Strategy (YESS) Program.
The program is for youth, ages 15-30 years, who seek a clear path to full-time employment.
Available at no cost, DiverseFutures has two unique streams to support youth in securing full-time employment. The program also helps youth hone personal skills and abilities so they can contribute in the future-building of our Canadian society.
DiverseFutures is an employment program for youth, ages 15-30 years, who seek a clear path to full-time employment. There are two different streams to the program, which welcome youth based on their diverse and unique life realities.
What’s the difference between the 2 streams?
DiverseFutures (DF1) – Free training with a paid wage and an employer wage subsidy (Stream One):
DF1 is an 18-week program designed for youth who would first like skills enhancement trainings on their pathway to full-time employment. This stream one of the program helps youth to:
- earn workplace skills and certificates over a 4-week period, all paid for by NYSA, to support youth in securing full-time employment. The training offers a blend of industry, career and soft skills trainings so youth can more easily get a job.
- earn money, as it pays youth at BC minimum wage for 30-hours per week over each of its four weeks of training.
- access the support of a Job Coach, so youth can secure their personal idea of a paid quality job.
- more quickly secure a better employment opportunity, by NYSA offering employers with an hourly wage subsidy incentive over a 14-week period if they hire a youth through the program.
DiverseFutures (DF2) – Real-time paid work with an employer wage subsidy (Stream Two):
DF2 is an 8-week program designed for youth who feel confident in their workplace skills and simply need a little extra support on their pathway to full-time employment. This stream two of the program provides youth with:
- the support of a Job Coach, so youth can secure their personal idea of a paid quality job.
- a sizable hourly wage subsidy, paid to an employer over an 8-week period, if an employer hires a youth through the program. The wage subsidy is offered as an incentive to offset the time investment of training a new employee.
How Do I Apply?
- Message us through the TomBerani DiverseFutures Facebook page.
- Phone NYSA at 250.754.1989 and ask to speak with Tom or Berani.
- Attend a PERSONAL INFO SESSION (whether in-person or over-the-phone) to see if DF is right for you.
- If you like what you hear, then continue through the application, interview and selection processes. Within one-week of your interview, you will be notified of a decision on your application.
Are there any “strings attached?”
There is absolutely no cost to participate in the program. Zippo. Zilch. Zero. Nothing. Nada. In whatever words you might use, DiverseFutures is a FREE program (available to you at NO COST).
The only expectation is that you will try your best and participate in good faith to maximize the opportunities presented to you through the program. Your success is our success!
What Certificates and Skills can I earn?
DiverseFutures runs different trainings depending on the industry focus. Our core CareerStart training, regularly offered in both Comox Valley and Nanaimo, focuses on providing the essential customer service industry skills in demand across the hospitality, retail and tourism sectors.
Our I-SPARC partnership, held annually in the Comox Valley, focuses on offering skills required to work in the parks & recreational sector.
Our Snuneymuwx First Nation partnership, held each year in Nanaimo, provides industry and cultural trainings for Snuneymuxw youth to secure employment with their nation.
Our capstone Culinary training opens a breadth of skills to help youth enter or apprentice in a professional kitchen environment.
To see what certificates you can earn in the next intake of DiverseFutures, book an info session today.
What youth say about DiverseFutures:
“I am so appreciative of everyone who works here and the amazing things you do for people like me. I’m so excited to finally have my foot in the door to pursue my dreams. I’m blown away by all that you guys have done. It really has changed my life and I’m forever grateful.” – Sav
The program “helped me take a look at myself and where I want to go in life–I am so grateful I got to be a part of [it].” – Shayla
“I rate it 11 out of 10!” – Marielle
When is the next program running?
Please note: Program intake dates for DiverseFutures start a minimum of three weeks before each program start date.
DiverseFutures program intake and run dates for NYSA’s Comox Valley and Nanaimo offices are as follows:
|Group 1:||Intake Dates: July 27-August 16, 2020 / Program Run Date: August 17 to December 20, 2020.|
|Group 2:||Intake Dates: December 01-14, 2020 / Program Run Date: January 04 to May 09, 2021.|
|Group 3:||Intake Dates: March 29-April 18, 2021 / Program Run Date: April 19 to August 22, 2021.|
|Group 4:||Intake Dates: August 02-22, 2021 / Program Run Date: August 23 to December 26, 2021.|
|Group 5:||Intake Dates: December 01-14, 2021 / Program Run Date: January 03 to May 08, 2022.|
|Group 6:||Intake Dates: March 28-April 17, 2022 / Program Run Date: April 18 to August 21, 2022.|
|Group 7:||Intake Dates: July 04-24, 2022 / Program Run Date: July 25 to November 27, 2022.|
|Group 8:||Intake Dates: October 10-30, 2022 / Program Run Date: October 31, 2021 to March 05, 2023.|